The Delights of Fes Morocco
Walking through what felt like an Indiana Jones maze into the Medina of Fes Morocco was like going back in time. Fes is a place to get lost, shop for souks and rugs , sit on rooftops listening to the prayers while indulging on the local cuisine of tagines, and watch the hustle and bustle go by through meandering laneways.
Riad 9 was our hub for the week – with sweeping views of the Medina , the Riad is decorated inspired by Moroccan, English, French and Asian influences. Originally but in the 18th century, Riad 9 has undergone a 3 year restoration process now housed as a boutique bed and breakfast. Our hosts were nothing short of perfect – our daily breakfasts and information on local cuisine and how to work out the map where all we needed for a break stay.
Top tips for travelling around Fes:
– Enjoy getting lost in the laneways as you are bound to
– The best Thai is served at on rooftops restaurant Maison Moi Anan
– Spend the afternoons relaxing on a rooftop taking in the sounds of prayers while having a cold drink
– Take cash – the ATMs can be few and far between
– Watch out for the trap of getting taken off track to the tanneries if this is not where you expected to be heading
– Buy as many rugs and platters as you can